Saturday, August 21, 2010

Fruits of Labour

The ritual goes something like this...

Arrive home from daily commute, afternoon activity or weekend travel.
Peruse the backyard garden to uncover newly ripened gems.
Revel in the great feeling of growing my own produce.

I love this ritual. The process brightens my days immensely. The sense of sastifaction from picking home-grown vegetables is a warm fuzzy that I didn't know I was missing. And I have been favoured with consistent fruits of my labour.
The first cucumber was a surprise. It was tucked into a corner of the garden and reached maturity before we even noticed it was there! It truly felt as if it had arrived over night. The Boyfriend and I ate i that night. Sliced thin and saturated in white vinegar with a spring of fresh garden dill. What a treat. A perfectly fleshy, firm and sweet cucumber. I am now on the watch for more green delights and The Boyfriend is confident tha that the many yellow blooms will mean cuke-tastic abundance in the future.


As mentioned before, the tomatoes have gone wild. Our very own fruit of temptation, these scarlet orbs have been popping into colour in both cherry and full sizes. I had been watching the regular tomatoes slowly gather their ripe blush for tha past couple of weeks and was excited when one was finally ready to pick . In fact, it yielded with such resistance that it seemed to leap off the vine and into my eager hands.

The cherry tomato plants are now over 8-feet tall and continue to spray bunches of tomatoes in every direction. I can pick a handful of new ones each day. The Boyfriend has taken to cutting them up for juicy bruschetta. I am now addicted to tomato and basil (also from our garden and SOOOO amazing!) salads.

OH! Such succulent tastes of summer!

No comments: