Monday, January 14, 2008

Gone Globes Gone

On its 65th birthday the Golden Globes did not celebrate. As the first major awards casualty of the writer's strike, the cancellation of the Globes highlights the integral role that writers play in ALL our entertainment. I mean, the very fact that an awards show cannot be presented because the banter and introductions cannot be written astounds me! But in the end I don't think this was the problem as the hour long "newsconference" went along just fine.

The issue was the refusal of Hollywood stars to cross the strike line and for this reason I find the writer's strike an intriguing experience in the unions vs. management debate. It should be noted that the SAG awards have been given a waiver by the WGA to go as planned thereby illustrating union solidarity between the scribes and stars. And this is as it should be since the WGA agreement will set an valuable precedent for the actors negotiations come June. Hold onto your hats everyone, this year will likely change the entertainment industry forever. And then, hopefully, the awards shows will be back (cause I really like the Globes with its champagne on the tables and half-drunk speeches and prom/dinner party vibe!)

But political commentary aside you may have noticed a lack of movie reviews on this site as of late. This of course would have been combined with the fact that I missed the Globes newscast completely and didn't even remember to look up the winners until late the next day Iyou can find them here). And so, for the first time since I began my blog there is no Globes commentary. And if there had been it would probably have been about how many of the films I had not yet seen and TV series not available in my area. What has become of me? I promise I am not on strike. I'm just working a bit more on my "real" life rather than the reel ones.

Globes 2006 ... Globes 2007

No comments: