Thursday, January 03, 2008

2008 Awaits

I woke up in a new year to a world painted in white. The trees were slip-covered in snow and the air was still, sleepy. In the country's largest city it felt as if the world has stopped and truly taken a moment to savour the new beginning. My recent memory cannot recall a more perfect, more pristine, entrance for a year. It put my mind at ease to think that all would be well.

But truth be told the arrival of 2008 puts me into a bit of a panic. A pure tummy-butterfly panic! On the one hand I am happy to be moving forward. I have a portion of a plan again. I have my health, good friends and a wonderful family. I am not on the brink of emotional turmoil (2006) or embarking on an ill-fated romance (leading to emotional turmoil - 2007). I am calmer than I have been in ages. But then there is the panic.

You see, 2008 is also a year of big choices which lead to big changes. It is a turning point year. And although that sounded all rosy and optimistic in 2007 when I was planning it out, the actual ACTING on it is rather scary. In the first place I have negotiated a new work situation that enables me to spend more time on my studies. It also compacts my responsibilities and reduces my wages thereby stressing my pocketbook and limiting my social (shopping?) life.

Secondly, I have made a commitment to graduate in May. This goal of course demands the completion of two courses and a major research paper in the next four months. It also puts forward the question of what I will do AFTER I graduate causing all types of job-related issues to emerge.

Lastly, I have decided that I should leave the east coast and relocate near my brother's family in order to be near my niece & nephew and enhance my work opportunities. After years of deliberately being away from "home" I thought it would be nice to go back - on my own - for a spell. And this means organizing a move and finding a place to live elsewhere and goodbyes and ... well, whew. It won't even be September yet. And so, butterflies.

How to fight the butterflies? In the past couple of years I have adopted a theme for my year ahead. 2006 = Clarity. 2007 = Breathe. This year the theme is Balance. It is not about getting rid of the butterflies but about balancing the panic with the exhilaration of momentum. It is about struggling through those classes AND planning my graduation party. I can do this.

On the day I decided that I was going to approach work about changing my situation in order to make all my other plans possible I had a portentous horoscope. So as the new year dawns I must remember it:

Today is a good day to take chances, dear Pisces. You will be quite successful, if you are ready to defend the things you really care about. Pretend that you are the director of a film and that you have just met a potential producer for your movie. You just happen to have your script in hand. Are you ready to move up in the world? Are your ready for success?

No comments: