Monday, January 23, 2006

Election Notes

It's Election Day. Another one. I feel that my ranting time is over (at least pre-election commentary!) as the polls are slugging through their day. The arrival of blowing snow on the east coast is a sad one. It offers people an excuse to not get to the polls. It creates an obstacle for one more voice to be heard. That voices may be getting lost on flake-filled wind is perhaps an apt position for a Canadian election. Like many of my friends and colleagues I have watched as the Conservative momentum has rolled towards this day. I have read the reports of "the west" finally being heard as its financially-fueled thoughts are top of the Harper heap. I have also seen the emergence of ads, posters, and websites crying out for the counter position. Truth be told, today will be a sad one indeed if the Canadians choose to vote AGAINST a party rather than truly FOR one. It will be like the last election in our southern neighbour where many of us will have to face the world (HELL, face many of our own citizens!!!) and say "We're Sorry ... We Tried". I hope this is not the case. I hope that when the snow clears we will have a Canada that did not bow to fear, frustration, and frivolous power grabs. I hope that we will awake tomorrow to a future that maintains women's rights, marriage for all, childcare and the view that all people are valuable.

No comments: