Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Coupling that a Single Girl can Love

Another new entertainment addiction found. In fact, this one has nicely replaced the void left by my full-viewing of the entire "Sex and the City" series. Thanks to Greg, I have been turned on to "Coupling". Ouch, that sounded WAY naughtier than it should have ... much like the series!!! Upfront I will admit that I am actually behind on the "Coupling" bandwagon. I did catch the odd episode while in Australia but never enough to make me a devotee. So now, five years off the pace, I am becoming one.

"Coupling" is a BBC series that began in 2000 and it's fantastic. It spawned a pathetic American version in 2003 that survived a grand total of 5 episodes before dying a quiet death. Truth be told, I don't think American broadcast television can handle "Coupling". If it had been put out by HBO, then it may have had a shot! One of the greatest things about the show is that it pulls NO punches (verbally, subject-wise) in its presentation of male/female relationships. And, because of its candor, it rings SO true thus making it SO funny. As in, laugh out loud funny. Not to mention infinitely quotable. Ahhh, the hallmark of great show is its ability to create a language its viewers can recite back to each other and "Coupling" has this in spades.

The series is now doing the rounds on DVD and I spent my afternoon watching Season Two. Now I must go out and get the remaining two seasons ASAP so I can find out what happens with Steve and Susan, Sally and Patrick, Jeff and Julia and Jane. Bring on the blizzards ... I have something to kill the time!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey - I love that show! I have season 1 on DVD if you want to borrow it? Happy to send it off to my fave movie reviewer :)

Raye said...

Cheers Steph!
I've actually made it through Seasons 1 & 2 and am starting Season 3 (that blizzard we got this week helped!).
It turns out my friend Natalie has also commenced her "Coupling" viewing. The trend begins!