Saturday, November 19, 2005

Gridiron Gladness

Today was the Uteck Bowl. Yes, I know, nobody knows what that is. Well, maybe if you are an avid follower of Canadian Interuniversity Sport football you would know. But as for me? I didn't know what it was until I got here. That's also because this year is only the 3rd Uteck Bowl to be played. The name was changed (to honour Larry Uteck)from the Churchill Bowl in 2003. The game is played between the top Atlantic university team and the winner of the Ontario or Quebec conference on a rotating basis. This year it was Ontario's turn to fly out east and play.

There was not a cloud in a sky that was pristinely blue. The air was crisp with a breeze that was just sub-zero. It was the perfect day for football. The aura of autumn in the air. The scent of bbq smoke in the stands. The energy of 5000 people enjoying the event. It was just what I hoped it would be ... and for $28.50 a ticket I actually had some expectations.

This year saw the Acadia Axemen (Colin's team! and my only friend who made it to the game with me!) and the Laurier Golden Hawks battle it out for a slot in the Vanier Cup. The Axemen came in as 14-point underdogs and left in worse condition than that prediction. The game opened with a quick drive to a field goal for the Axemen that set the predominately maritime crowd in a positive mood. But the 3-points were quickly answered with a massive touchdown run by the Hawks and Acadia's weakness at stopping the Laurier rush was cemented. In truth, Laurier just out-played Acadia through and through. The Hawks took the game 31-10. Ouch!

But for me, it didn't really matter. I would have preferred a more intense match-up (check out the details of the Mitchell Bowl with Laval and Saskatchewan if you want intensity!!!) but I will not complain. It was freezing cold sitting in the stands but I still won't complain. My season of university football watching has come to a close and it was a blast. Can't wait for next year!

No comments: