Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oscar Offerings 2007

The Oscar nominations were announced this morning. I'm not completely sure how I feel about this list of nominees yet. There are some surprises: Ryan Gosling getting a Best Actor nod and Little Miss Sunshine for Best Picture and some givens: Helen Mirren for Best Actress and Babel for Best Picture. It also looks like I will have to bite the bullet and rent Little Miss Sunshine because everyone seems to think it is fabulous (you were right Keir!). The leading actress category is actually a powerhouse for once and the lead actor group showcases the next wave of talent (Peter O'Toole excepted). However, the best races appear to be in the more technical categories - cinematograpy, art direction, costumes - where an interesting mix of films is found. You can find the whole list of nominees here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that matters to me is that Scorsese wins best director. If he does, the academy members should give him a 10 minute standing ovation to make up for the other times he should have won. Raging Bull and Goodfellas are the worst roberies, but not the only ones.

Peter

Anonymous said...

Haha. Thanks for the mention, Raye. I can't believe you still haven't seen Little Miss Sunshine! Anyway, I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the nods... from the films I've seen, they deserve the praise, and it's got me excited to see the ones I haven't. I've got some catching up to do too. ;)

one of the McTs said...

The one I'm glad they gave a nod to is Deepa Mehta's film Water.. I've been able to see the trilogy so I'm glad she's being recognized for at least one of her films.. I still have to buy Earth but I have the other two..
Aunty A