Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Garden

Today is the first full day of summer. It rained today but most of that has passed into a calm evening. As I look outside these days my heart bursts with happy pride for my garden. My herb garden has become an abundant collection of aromatic bunches.


At the end of May I planted some vegetables for the season. A mixed assortment of lettuce, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes and snow peas. My boyfriend laughed at me when a recent trip to Canadian Tire yielded my purchase of six bags of dirts. Sadly, the snow peas were ravaged by backyard critters and did not survive the week. But the enriched soil for the vegetables seems to have hit the spot with all the other plants taking over their corner with steadfast determinination. The lettuce has matured into delectable rows of salad sweetness. The tomatoes are pushing the boundaries of their cages and starting to show-off their dainty yellow flowers.


Upon advice from my Mom (even from a distance she is VERY helpful!) I removed the zucchini plants from the main garden and into a pot of their own. This choice was the correct on as the plant quickly grew into a leafy monster to rival our hosta godzilla in size. I had no idea that zucchini plants would grow so large! My fingers are crossed for some good eating off of this beauty!


It has been a month since my Mom's visit and our planting party. The yard has grown green and bright. The twiggy trees have sprouted new branches and wave their leafy hands in to the air. The dormant annuals planted by tenants past have filled corners with their consistent greenery. The flowers have taken root and continue to thrust their happy blossom faces towards the sunshine. It wasn't so long ago that the stones along the edge were the most striking feature of the garden and now they have settled into place and actually accent the continuous growth around them. I can hardly believe that the garden has gone from this to what you see below in only 4 weeks!


The power of plants amazes me. And I do love the gardening now. One of my favourite things to do on the weekend is spend some time doing the weeding. Getting the earth in the beds broken up and making sure that the home for my plants stays in good shape is a small joy for me. I like the sense of being creative and productive at the same time. I found this quote from a famous English gardener names Gertrude Jekyll (whom I think I would like since she was known more as a garden "planter" than a garden "designer") that sums up my new feelings:

A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it
teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust.

In the end, the gardens help to make our city rental a beautiful home. I still don't know much about plants and I firmly believe that a lot of the splendor is due to luck more than know-how but I am starting to trust it will all work out.

No comments: