Friday, February 12, 2010

Go Train Go!

So I am a commuter now. I officially "live" in the suburbs and work in the city. My commute takes me on the GO Train for a daily trip every morning and evening of my working week. I have survived one week so far and the trips have become a pleasing ritual.

I was nervous about having to take the train. In order to make it to work for 9am I must board the train at 7:38am!! Anyone who knows me will understand that I am rarely (never?!) awake - let alone dressed and OUT of the house - at 7:38am! It has changed my morning and made me more alert upon arriving to the office. The morning ritual begins with a brisk walk to the station and then settling into the seat of my choice. The good thing about getting on the train at the end of the line means that there are many vacant seats to choose from. Of course, it also means that I am on the train for a long time. The trip to the city takes an hour. In that time, the sun fully clears the horizon and sends golden shafts into the windows. I have taken to reading in the morning but often find myself dozing mildly for a portion of the trip. By the time the train hits the halfway mark of the journey the seats are full and I am happy that I am not one of the many people who will have to stand for the ride.

The ride home is more of a challenge. The sun sinks quickly and the trip's darkness does not help my tired eyes after a day of work. I missed a train once this week and had to wait a full hour downtown before the next one arrives. After 7pm there is no train and I must take the GO bus back out to the 'burbs. It has been an interesting development in my life to commute to work. At the moment I enjoy the extra two hours of time each day to read my books. It would be better if the train had Wifi but I think I will tackle this challenge by downloading a good TV series (maybe "Dexter") onto my Ipod and watching an episode as the train brings me onward in and out of my day.

No comments: