Monday, February 25, 2008

Oscar Night in 2008

I was not sure if I would be into the Oscars this year. I had not seen many of the films and with the writer's strike the entire affair has been under a cloud of doom since the fall. But I put on my PJs and sat down with my Dr. Pepper and Pringles anyway to see what was what.

And I must confess to really enjoying the telecast this year. I think the last minute writing kept things simple rather than bloated. I think the 80th anniversary tributes added star-power and sincerity rather than time spent on lame gags. I think removing the intros (and clips) of the nominated films was good choice. (I think removing the performances of original songs would be a good one too!) I think that the party felt much more like the Golden Globes. There was a lightness in the air at the Kodak Theatre last night. The sense of relief of having the "show go on" was palpable and it made everyone relax and enjoy the moment. And in the end it was enjoyable for all. Random observations below:

Why is Miley Cyrus at the Oscars?

Jon Stewart's opening monologue makes me laugh more than any host since Billy Crystal's original stint. Of course I don't understand why ANY monologue is necessary but at least Jon is entertaining.

Cate Blanchett has the most radiant smile. I dare anyone to not want to be in its path. But her billowing purple bump dress isn't a bit mainstream for me. I was hoping for something edgier from her.

Twenty minutes into the show and I teared up! Damn tributes and that Titanic song! I'm such a softie for people honestly being touched by recognition.

Pirates doesn't win for make-up instead the honour goes to La Vie en Rose thereby signaling that the ability to make a hot woman (Marion Cotillard) unattractive and older (as Edith Piaf) is considered quite the feat!

The Golden Compass wins for visual effects and all I can think is that Jeff is going to pissed off! It feels wrong when compared to the effects in Pirates of the Carribean. Interesting that the film's first cut was considered SO lacklustre that Disney ordered up more cash to redo the effects. I guess you could say the investment paid off.

It still freaks me out to see Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart together - even though it has been 7 years! But it gives me hope that maybe life can spin on an unexpected dime and you get Indiana Jones as your man.

Javier Bardem takes the supporting actor prize - the first acting non-surprize of the night. It reminded me of Bencio Del Toro's wind with a bit of Jamie Foxx thrown in with his Spanish thanks to mama. Man, I love grown men taking their moms to the big show!

Loved all the English-as-second-language moments for the winners (the guy for live action short, the Italian costume designers, Marion Cotillard). All so heart-warming.

Tilda Swinton takes supporting actress as if to follow the last year's Arkin upset. A well-deserved award but sadly she wore a velvet trashbag to the event. But then ALL is redeemed as she totally takes the piss out of George Clooney by commenting on his "commitment to his art" by wearing his batsuit ("the one with the nipples") under his clothes.

God I LOVE James McAvoy's accent. And his pep. And his dry humour. And his eyes!

Jonah Hill & Seth Rogen appear looking identical. It is both hilarious and creepy. And the future of suburban cineplex fare.

An early presentation for Best Actress yields another surprise. Hmmmm ... Marion Cotillard wins and the Blanchett's look of surprised glee almost overshadows the French actress' beauty. "You rocked my life" ... "Thank you life. Thank you love"

Colin Farrell returns! Yeah! I have been mssing those chocolate eyes. And he talks about Once which Keir recommended so I guess I have to see it now.

The tribute to the last 79 Best Picture winners really showed how movies have changed over time.

Patrick Dempsey is introduced as "versatile and handsome" - good thing the writers came back!

Jon Stewart brings the second original song winner back out on stage post commercial to give her chance to actually say thankyou. A wonderful gesture and the work of a true master of ceremonies. The winner then goes on to deliver a fantastic speech about Hope and the arts making the action worthwhile for us all.

Cameron Diaz rocks the best nude lips in history. How did she get that shine?

Where is Keira Knightley???

Diablo Cody wins original screenplay for Juno. She must be the first Oscar winner who was previously an exotic dancer and has a bikini-clad woman tattooed on her arm. A breath of tiger-print fresh air to the night.

Daniel Day Lewis wins Best Actor. The man has serious action chops. But I really dislke him. Can't watch him. He drives me nuts. And the earrings? Dude - WTF?

No Cecile B. DeMille award. Guess there wasn't an old guy in Hollywood that needed to be honoured in 2008. Hmmmmm...

Best Picture goes to No Country for Old Men

No big sweeps. Lots of interesting supporting awards and a sense of fun that has been lacking. The End.

2005 ... 2006 ... 2007

No comments: